This is the end of my first week of not applying cortisone cream, so so sore. I am swollen, weepy and starting to get crusty above my top lip, around eyes, cheeks and chin; this is spreading down my neck. Generally speaking I am itchy all over, which is much worse at night but today it is my face and fingers that are giving me grief. Face stinging like mad.
Though I have been seeing a private dermatologist for about 18mths, this month I have new appointments to see a dermatologist and allergist at the hospital, a private naturopath and then back to my GP. (Plus another referral to hopefully more helpful, private dermo but don't get into see them til later)
Hopefully by the time I get back to my GP I will be able to provide her with some info on what is happening re Red Skin Syndrome and Topical Steroid Withdrawal. I dearly hope she will be able to support me in this. Not for the fainthearted that's for sure and this week I already have family and friends telling me I may not be doing the right thing.
The alternatives are not that great..
- cortisone medications that don't work (or do temporarily but only due to dangerously increased doses, which result in serious rebounds),
- skin that is so damaged already as a result of these treatments
- sitting in light box at dermatologists, with worsening results and burning (though can be helpful for some)
- symptoms of hives and redness that was not what I originally had with eczema but now have on top of eczema
- super sensitivities to what seems like everything
- immunosuppressant drugs that are prescribed to contend with this
- never ending cycle
The above is no way to live, and it has severely impacted on my life in any case, so, if opting for something that sounds like hell, looks like hell, feels like hell...but has an END to it, I am dearly hoping this is it, i.e. TSW.